Extension > Garden > Diagnose a problem > Is this plant a weed? > Broadleaf Weeds > Creeping > Common Purslane
Portulaca oleracea L.
- Landscape beds
- Grows well in high light areas and nutrient-rich soils (loam, sandy loam)
- Survives in compacted soils and drier conditions
- Does poorly in lawn situations
- Low growing, mat-forming annual
- Stems are purplish-red, thick, fleshy, succulent and hairless
- Leaves are oblong, smooth, shiny, thick, fleshy and succulent, arise alternately along stem
- Tiny yellow flowers appear June to Oct.
- Long, thick taproot with fibrous lateral roots