Extension > Garden > Diagnose a problem > Is this plant a weed? > Broadleaf Weeds > Creeping > Birdsfoot Trefoil
Lotus corniculatus L.
- - CLICK PHOTOS TO ENLARGE -
- Lawns (mostly), landscape beds and boulevard areas
- Low growing (at least in lawn and landscape situations), spreading perennial
- Oval trifoliate leaves (3 leaflets) arise alternately along stem
- Bright yellow, pea-like flowers June through fall
- Spreads by seed, stems and rhizomes (underground stems)
- Clusters of seed pods look like a bird’s foot
- Often an indicator plant for low soil nitrogen levels in lawns
- Tolerates low mowing height, will crowd out lawn grasses
- Used as a beneficial pasture plant
Plants that look similar:
Did this tool help you identify the weed? Tell us.