Extension > Garden > Diagnose a problem > Is this plant a weed? > Broadleaf Weeds > Creeping > Black Medic
Medicago lupulina L.
- - CLICK PHOTOS TO ENLARGE -
- Lawns (mostly) and landscape beds
- Low growing annual that spreads up to 24” across
- Round to oval trifoliate leaves (3 leaflets) with tiny hairs, are alternate along stem
- Stems are covered with tiny hairs and creep along the ground, but do not root
- Flowers are small, yellow, globe-shaped clusters; similar to clover except smaller
- Taprooted along with shallow, branched roots; difficult to pull by hand
- Often an indicator plant for low soil nitrogen levels in lawns
Plants that look similar:
Did this tool help you identify the weed? Tell us.